Thursday, November 22, 2012

Waiting for Pollinators

The mild weather we are experiencing has given Helleborus niger 'Praecox' the time and ideal conditions to show off its stuff.  I've never noticed any seed or seedlings around this plant and assumed that its out of sync with the life cycle of most pollinators. It's certainly ready for procreation with pistils and stemens forming a spectacular pinwheel that would seem irresistible to any bumblebee or wasp. Perhaps this year with unseasonal warm days there is a chance of these flowers being pollinated, but so far I've only noticed a very sleepy bumblebee clinging to the outside of one of the sepals and a fly stopping by for a brief reconnoitre.  
Although it only now occurs to me that I could go out and pollinate the plant myself.

Helleborus niger 'Praecox'

'Praecox' up close.

6 comments:

LHawthorn said...

Beautiful. Do you grow it close to the house so you can admire it readily?

Barry said...

That is a delightful sight indeed! Q tips are a gardeners friend indeed!

Caerulean Skies said...

How lovely and welcoming in late November!

Barry Parker said...

Hi Laura,
I can see it from the house, but I plan to divide it next year and move it even closer.

Barry Parker said...

Hi Barry,
It wasn't until I was in the middle of writing this post that hand pollination came to mind, I hope I haven't wasted valuable time, as cold wether is on its way in he next few days

Barry Parker said...

Hi Erika,

Amazing weather eh? See you this weekend.